The Woman in Purple (rainbow_goddess) wrote,
The Woman in Purple

Myth confirmed: Mythbusters are awesome!

Way back in May, I got an intriguing e-mail from Ticketmaster. I don't recall why I signed up for notifications for Ticketmaster, as they don't cover events in Victoria, but I'm glad I did, because this one told me that Jamie and Adam from Mythbusters were coming to Vancouver in December as part of Jamie's farewell tour. I quickly grabbed a ticket for me and a ticket for Monster -- VIP tickets that admitted us to a post-show meet and greet. (I told him the ticket was his Christmas present this year.)

Monster agreed to cover the cost of a hotel room so that my credit card didn't cry 'uncle,' (I told him that can be his Christmas present to me if he likes) and last week we headed off on a whirlwind trip to the mainland. We left at nine on Tuesday morning and arrived back at my place around ten on Wednesday night.

The tickets I bought were quite literally front row centre, and while I was a little peeved with myself for shelling out for such premium tickets (as it meant we kind of had to crane our necks to see the stage, and a couple of times we even stood for a brief moment to see what was happening on the stage floor), I am very pleased that I did so. See, Adam Savage has a tendency to get distracted by what I would call shiny things. He will be doing his part of the show when suddenly something will catch his attention and he'll go off script. And what caught his attention was little old me, sitting in the front row, wearing a t-shirt that says, "Autism is not a tragedy. Running out of bacon is. Also ignorance, but mostly the bacon thing."

Adam Savage read out my t-shirt to the entire Queen Elizabeth Theatre. I was stunned. I had hoped I'd get to be part of the audience participation, or that I'd be invited up on stage to show off my shirt, but alas, no such luck. Still, it was pretty awesome to be noticed. At the meet and greet he repeated how he liked my shirt, and he also thought my Omnipod insulin pump was "cool".

Monster and I also got to go to the brand-new cat cafe in Vancouver, called Catfe. Our visit was at four in the afternoon, and the cats were apparently kind of worn out by all the visitors they'd had, so they weren't interested in playing with me or being petted and fussed over. I did get to pet them, though, just not play with them.

That was quite a lot to fit into one day, and our second day was very dull. We had nothing to do after we checked out of our hotel and had breakfast. Monster insisted that we take the five o'clock ferry home, because he wanted to eat supper on the ferry, but that left us with several hours to kill in downtown Vancouver. Monster didn't want to buy a day pass for the bus, so were limited to a small area within walking distance of our hotel because he refused to take the bus anywhere. We hung around a mall for awhile, but there was nothing there I wanted to buy. A security guard started taking an interest in us because we were doing nothing but sitting around using the wifi, so I suggested to Monster we go to Tim Horton's or Starbucks.

"I don't want anything to eat," said Monster.

"Then I'll buy you a hot chocolate," I said.

"I don't want anything to drink," said Monster.

I suggested we take an earlier ferry, since we had nothing to do.

"Can't eat supper on an earlier ferry," said Monster.

We wandered around a couple of very boring stores to kill time, and finally Monster agreed to go to a coffee shop. Starbucks was full to bursting with nowhere to sit, so we went to Tim Horton's, but the mall fire alarm went off and threatened to send me into a full-blown meltdown, so we had to leave Timmy's and the mall. Fortunately there was a Hudson's Bay across the street that had a small coffee shop, and were able to go there to kill time till it was time to catch the Skytrain out to the ferry.

Unfortunately, there was an accident on the highway going to to the ferry, which caused a traffic jam, and we arrived at the ferry terminal five or ten minutes too late to catch the five o'clock ferry. We spent two hours in the ferry terminal. Monster took a nap and I played with my tablet using the ferry terminal's wifi. We caught the seven o'clock ferry instead and did indeed have supper on the ferry. They were serving turkey with all the trimmings in the Pacific Buffet, but Monster hates turkey, so it's a good thing they had salmon as well.

One of my neighbours in the trailer park fed the kitties while I was away, though she didn't see Inky at all. (Inky hates strange humans.) In fact, while she happily accepted food from me, Inky didn't speak to me for two days after I got back. No rubbing around my legs to welcome me home the way she did after I spent a week away from home in the summer or like she does when I get home from work. No letting me pet her. She basically ignored me when it wasn't food time.

I definitely need to slow down on my spending now, at least till I start earning money in the spring, and lay off using the credit card.

  • Smelly cat!

    My Katniss Everdeen-no-longer-a-kitten has a terrible tendency to make massive stinks in the litter box. The stinks had been going on for months, but…

  • I hate this time of year

    I turned down work because I don't want to have to calculate the complicated formula they gave us to try to determine how much money I have to report…

  • The Force Awakens

    Having finally seen The Force Awakens, almost a month after the rest of the world, I have some thoughts. BB-8 is incredibly cute. I don't know…

  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

  • 1 comment